Craig Storti, Sharon Schweitzer, and Alex Matveev by Sietar USA This 3-part blog series is a book review of Dr. Alex Matveev’s excellent book Intercultural Competence in Organizations. Alex and I met during SIETAR USA in 2017 where we were featured as published authors. We immediately felt a Central-Eastern European bond since he [...]
- Annual Monthly or Day Observance, Business and the Environment, Cross-Cultural, Culture, Culture and Commercialism, global competency, Goals, Intercultural, intercultural competence, International History, International Observances, International Travel Tips, Language and Culture, Legends and Myths, Lifestyle, Observances - Monthly & Daily, Self-Awareness, SXSW, Travel, United States, US Observances
Afterglow by Pexels What You Need to Know on Human Trafficking Awareness Day When I learned that human trafficking occurs in Austin during SXSW I was stunned. How could this happen in our Texas city? Yes, our population has increased dramatically, yet I associated this problem with sprawling, urban metropolitan areas. I [...]
- Colombia, Cross-Cultural, Cultural Significance of Food, Culture, Global Celebrations, global competency, Global Traditions, Holiday Season, Indigenous Peoples, Intercultural, intercultural competence, International Toasts, Lifestyle, Relationships, U.S. Holidays
Handmade Hammocks from Villa de Leyva, Colombia by Sophie Echeverry Today we are delighted to feature Sophie Echeverry, a guest blogger living and working in the U.S.A. who is from Bogota, Colombia. As a Colombian, I cherish Christmas customs from my home country. I have celebrated 21 of my 22 Christmases [...]
- Annual Monthly or Day Observance, Asia, Bridging the Cultural Divide, Cross-Cultural Tips for Doing Business in, Global Celebrations, global competency, Global Traditions, Holiday Season, International Holidays, Korea, Korean Celebrations, Language and Culture, Lifestyle, Modern Manners, South Korea
If your business travels in early October take you to Korea, knowledge of the following Chuseok customs will prepare you to engage in intelligent conversation about this traditional harvest festival.
- Africa, Bridging the Cultural Divide, Business and the Environment, Business Etiquette, Career Tips, Cross-Cultural, Cross-Cultural Tips for Doing Business in, global competency, Intercultural, intercultural competence, International Travel Tips, Relationship Building, Self-Awareness, Workplace Etiquette, Zimbabwe
As the African Cats are poised to overtake the Asian Tigers, Zimbabwe has gained international attention as a popular investment and expansion location. An English-speaking African nation with blossoming mining and manufacturing sectors, we discovered during our recent business travels that Zimbabwe's economy is a diamond in the rough. Ten years ago, new promise [...]
Few people might expect the small Baltic nation of Estonia to become an international leader in technological and start-up sectors, but this northern European powerhouse has led the continent in tech development over the last decade. Not only does it have one of the highest ranked business environments (ranked 12th in the world by World [...]
As we discovered during our January visit, from the dazzling city of Dubai, to the buzzing metropolis of Abu Dhabi, the United Arab Emirates is rapidly climbing the ranks of the global business ladder, and investors worldwide are taking note. According to the Institute of International Finance, FDI into the UAE jumped from 8.9 billion [...]
As the Catalonian referendum continues to make international headlines, people around the world are asking about the cultural distinctions between Catalonia, a region in northeastern Spain, and the rest of the Spanish territory. During my business travels to Barcelona, Spain, the phrase ‘Catalonia is not Spain’ has not only been heard, but viscerally experienced during [...]
- Annual Monthly or Day Observance, Bridging the Cultural Divide, Business Case for Cross-Cultural Training, Business Etiquette, Career Tips, Cross-Cultural, Cross-Cultural Tips for Doing Business in, Culture, global competency, Global Traditions, International Protocol, International Travel Tips, Language and Culture, Middle East, Middle East Culture, Relationship Building, Travel
The U.N. Arabic Language Day is celebrated on Dec. 18 every year, the following 3 reasons will not only inform you, but encourage you to consider learning Arabic in 2018.
- avoiding international blunders, Bridging the Cultural Divide, Business Etiquette, Career Tips, Customer Service Etiquette, global competency, Global Etiquette, Gracious Living, intercultural competence, Lifestyle, Millennials, Modern Manners, Networking, Office Culture, Phone Etiquette and Protocol, Relationship Building, Self-Awareness, Social Etiquette, Workplace Diversity, Workplace Etiquette
In an era when everyday communication methods involve GIF keyboards, Snapchat filters, and group messaging, young professionals are poorly trained on verbal telephone conversations. If you fall into this category, consider these 5 guidelines for corporate telephone etiquette.