Forced Perspective by Pexels A recent study by the Journal of Experimental Social Psychology found that smartphone use undermines the benefits and enjoyment of real world, face-to-face interactions. In an age of all things digital, how do we balance the utility of technology with real life engagement? We dove into the research [...]
Handwashing by Kathea Pinto on flikr Tis’ the season for festivities, family and fun. The last thing you’d like to partake in is sniffles, colds or the flu. Sneezes, after all, are like mini hurricanes as a typical human sneeze exits the body at about 200 miles per hour and emits around [...]
- avoiding international blunders, Business and the Environment, Business Etiquette, Career Tips, Cross-Cultural, Culture, Intercultural, intercultural competence, Language and Culture, Observances - Monthly & Daily, Office Culture, Self-Awareness, US Observances, Workplace Diversity, Workplace Etiquette
From harmless puns and silly memes, to stereotypical jokes and shady sarcasm, humor is a diverse concept with a slightly different meaning for everyone. Whether you consider yourself a born jokester, or prefer to keep a serious profile, it’s vital to understand humor’s place in a professional environment, especially if the workplace is multicultural. As [...]
From speed skating to Alpine skiing, the Winter Games offer chills and thrills for spectators worldwide. The year’s games will take place in Pyeongchang, South Korea, and thousands of sports enthusiasts are gearing up to witness the competition in early February. With so many nationalities represented in the games and in the stands, cultural [...]
For those with a goal in the New Year to give back and get involved, deciding on a volunteer commitment can be tricky. Five tips, find your perfect match for volunteering in 2018.
- avoiding international blunders, Bridging the Cultural Divide, Business Etiquette, Career Tips, Customer Service Etiquette, global competency, Global Etiquette, Gracious Living, intercultural competence, Lifestyle, Millennials, Modern Manners, Networking, Office Culture, Phone Etiquette and Protocol, Relationship Building, Self-Awareness, Social Etiquette, Workplace Diversity, Workplace Etiquette
In an era when everyday communication methods involve GIF keyboards, Snapchat filters, and group messaging, young professionals are poorly trained on verbal telephone conversations. If you fall into this category, consider these 5 guidelines for corporate telephone etiquette.
- avoiding international blunders, Bridging the Cultural Divide, Business Etiquette, Career Tips, Cross-Cultural, Cross-Cultural Tips for Doing Business in, Culture, Europe, gift-giving, Global Celebrations, global competency, Gracious Living, Holiday Parties, Holiday Season, Lifestyle, Modern Manners, Networking, Relationship Building, Traveling Etiquette, Workplace Etiquette
As part three of cross-cultural gift giving worldwide, let’s explore the different implications when giving and receiving gifts in Central and Eastern Europe (CEECs), as defined by the Organization for Economic Cooperation and Development (OECD). The countries included in CEECs are Albania, Bulgaria, Croatia, the Czech Republic, Hungary, Poland, Romania, the Slovak Republic, Slovenia, and the three Baltic States: Estonia, Latvia and Lithuania.
If you are a first-time business traveler or entrepreneur seeking global expansion into Chihuahua, Mexico, consider the following 8 international tips and facts.
- Annual Monthly or Day Observance, avoiding international blunders, Bridging the Cultural Divide, Career Tips, Cross-Cultural, Culture, global competency, Intercultural, intercultural competence, Language and Culture, Lifestyle, Networking, Observances - Monthly & Daily, Relationship Building, Travel, Travel Etiquette, Traveling Etiquette
When conducting business abroad, breaking the language barrier takes time, commitment, and intercultural competence. To ensure that nothing is left unsaid or lost in translation, consider hiring a professional translator to facilitate successful cross-cultural exchange.
- avoiding international blunders, Cross-Cultural, Cross-Cultural Tips for Doing Business in, Culture, global competency, Global Traditions, Gracious Living, Lifestyle, Millennials, Relationship Building, Relationships, Self-Awareness, Social Etiquette, United States, University Students
Although the prospect of starting a new chapter in an unfamiliar location may be daunting for many, the school is there to support you during your journey. For those preparing for a semester abroad, follow these 4 tips for a smooth and successful journey!