Your sister may be your twin, triplet, complete opposite, or a mix of something else! People say you look alike, but you don’t see it. You may have the same preferences or none in common. Your mom calls you by her name and vice versa. So who is this mystery woman? Your sister!
Regardless of your age difference, sisterhood is one of the best relationships. During childhood, this relationship may have represented a creative co-conspirator when plotting against your brothers, a perpetual partner-in-crime on family vacations, and a wardrobe wrangler! No matter what, your sister is the true definition of BFF or best friends forever.
The first Sunday in August is National Sisters Day, and we’re sharing what it means to be a sister and how your special relationship can last a lifetime.
- Love/Hate Relationship. From the childhood arguments over toys to the teenage disagreements over boys, sometimes getting along with your sister seems impossible. Arguing over whose turn it was to load the dishwasher (it was Dad’s) or who gets to ride in the front seat led you to intensely dislike each other. Whether it’s the countless times she’s been there or realizing you can’t get rid of her, your love outweighs any dispute.
- Secret? What Secret? No matter how juicy your secret is, you know you can count on your sister to keep it. She may react to it by gasping or screaming, but one thing your sister won’t do is tell others. A sister is the best person to tell secrets to, especially if you don’t want to reveal it to your friends. After all, blood is thicker than water.
- Two is Better Than One. Tired of your wardrobe or don’t know what to wear for a special occasion? Having a sister means having two closets. If you’re shopping and mom says one blouse each, be sure to choose one that you both like so you can share. Your options have now doubled; sharing clothes and accessories is an added bonus between sisters.
- An Angel. If you’re going through a fallout with one of your BFFs, experiencing heartbreak, or had a lousy day, your sister will calm your soul, take your side, and protect you.
- Lifelong BFF. You were born sisters, but life sure worked in your favor because your sister is also your best friend. From endless movie dates, to shopping days, concerts, and lunch companions, your sister is your lifelong best friend. You know you can count on her, even if you think you’re still your parents’ favorite. You may be sisters by chance, but you’re best friends by choice.
It’s important to keep a strong connection and an inseparable bond, regardless of whether life gets in the way. Keep your sisterhood alive and well to make the most of your relationship. You may share a maiden name and with that comes countless, long-lasting memories.
Sharon Schweitzer, J.D., is a diversity and inclusion consultant, cross-cultural trainer, etiquette expert, and the founder of Access to Culture. In addition to her accreditation in intercultural management from the HOFSTEDE Centre, she is an attorney and mediator. Her Amazon #1 Best Selling book in International Business, Access to Asia, won a coveted Kirkus Star, and was named to Kirkus Reviews’ Best Books. She’s a winner of numerous awards, including the British Airways International Trade Award at the Greater Austin Business Awards.
#SharonSchweitzer, #NationalSistersDay, #Cross-CulturalTrainer, #InterculturalCommunication, #InternationalCommunication, #Interculturalist, #AccessToAsia, #Etiquette, #SistersDay #ModernManners, #Manners, #Sisters, #Sister