Image: Screenshot: courtesy NBC, Parks and Recreation Youtube. Hearts: stock.adobe.com By Vitaliy
“What’s Galentine’s Day? Oh, it’s only the best day of the year…ladies celebrating ladies.” – Leslie Knope from Parks and Recreation
Women worldwide celebrate the gal-pal day on February 13th, the day before Valentine’s Day. The holiday was introduced in 2010 through the sitcom “Parks and Recreation.” Like Friendsgiving, it’s a new holiday before a holiday that celebrates friendship. Sorry guys, this one is for the ladies.
There’s no right or wrong way to celebrate Galentine’s Day; although the pandemic creates new challenges, that won’t stop us!
Consider my list of ideas for celebrating remotely this year:
- Host a virtual party or virtual happy hour.
- Have a signature cocktail and/or mocktail. There are plenty of Instagram worthy Quarantini recipes to choose from.
- Watch a movie together, separately! Netflix Party synchronized video playbacks and added group chat to Netflix, Disney, Hulu and HBO. Bridesmaids, anyone? Don’t forget the popcorn!
- Feeling crafty? Choose a project to do together while you sip on cocktails and create. From painted rocks to stamping on tea towels, the possibilities are endless, thank you Pinterest!
- Make it a game night! Keep it simple with something like Charades or Pictionary, or play online. With sites like Jackbox Games, there is something for everyone.
No matter what you choose to do, it’s a great excuse to relax and have fun with your girlfriends!
“All I can tell you today is what I have learned. What I have discovered as a person in this world. And that is this: you can’t do it alone. As you navigate through the rest of your life, be open to collaboration. Other people and other people’s ideas are often better than your own. Find a group of people who challenge and inspire you, spend a lot of time with them, and it will change your life.” Amy Poehler (Leslie Knope from Parks and Recreation)
Happy Galentine’s Day!
Our first guest blogger for 2021 is Mindy Hersh; she’s the founder of Inspiring Women Media, and author of a forthcoming book about successful women in Austin (expected to publish late 2021). She is a self-proclaimed women’s rights champion and strongly believes in the transformative power of women supporting women.
Mindy graduated from The Art Institute of New York City with a degree in Graphic Design and worked as a graphic designer in New York City and San Francisco. Today she resides in Austin, TX, where she has lived for the past 5 years with her daughter and two small dogs. You can find Mindy on LinkedIn or Instagram.
#Sharon Schweitzer #AccesstoAsia #AccesstoCulture #Cross-CulturalTrainer #Intercultural Communication #International Communication #Internationalprotocolexpert #TexasEtiquetteExpert, #Etiquette Expert #Etiquette #crossculture #Intercultural #Global #valentinesday #galentine #girlfriends #valentine #parksandrec #netflixandchill #crafts #games #holiday
Great idea, this is the first I’ve heard of Galentine’s day!
Thank you for the compliment. Mindy Hofman and I co-wrote this blog and the majority of the ideas are hers.